Estate Administration in Sacramento
Need an attorney for estate administration in Central or Northern California?
Losing a loved one can be a very difficult time for family and friends. In addition to obtaining a death certificate and arranging a funeral, loved ones will have to figure out how to transfer or inherit property from the deceased. In order to do this, you will generally have to go to court.
Probate is the process of settling or administrating an estate; it involves deciding if a will is valid, taking care of the financial responsibilities of the person that died, and transferring the property of the decedent to his or her heirs. In a California probate case, an executor (if there is a will) or an administrator (if there is no will) is appointed by the court as a personal representative to do the following:
- Collect the decedent's assets
- Pay debts, claims, taxes, and expenses belonging to the estate
- Distribute the remaining assets to the rightful beneficiaries
The executor or administrator must answer to the court and follow all of the court's orders, and they have a fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of the beneficiaries at all times. The settling of an estate, otherwise known as "estate administration" or "probate" is all handled under the supervision of the court and can take between 9 months to 1 1/2 years on average, but sometimes longer.
Anyone considering taking on the role of an executor or administrator should understand that they are taking on a large responsibility and it is important to engage the services of an experienced Monterey probate attorney to guide them through all stages of the administration process.
Just a few reasons why attorney Johal should be your first call:
- He has over 35 years' experience handling probate matters.
- He is AV Preeminent™ Rated by the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory.
- He has a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating.
- He received the Five Star Wealth Award four years in a row.
- He also practices business, tax, and real estate law, which often tie into estate planning.
We proudly serve clients in Sacramento, Monterey, Carmel and all throughout Monterey County with their probate and estate planning needs.